MONUMENTS STALOWA WOLA
Stalowa Wola is a very young town so it doesn’t boast many monuments.
However you can go on a one day’s trip and visit a lot of interesting places. They are:
1. The only authentic relic of the town – a little wooden St Florian’s church dating back to
1802. It was moved here during the Second World War from Stany village which was
pacified by the Germans.
2. The spots hallowed by the martyr death of the patriots who were killed in the fight with Nazi
invaders. On the wall of the former Gestapo building at 26 Wolności Street there is a plate
which commemorates militants of the resistance movement who were slaughtered during
the Nazi occupation.
3. On the cemetery in Ofiar Katynia Street there is a mausoleum built in honour of the inhabitants
who died fighting with the invaders.
4. In the forest near the power station there is an obelisk and a commemorating plate in honour
of the Polish people shot on 12 th December 1943.
5. On the Market Square in Rozwadów there is a magnificent monument which commemorates
the brave people fighting with Nazi invaders. It was unveiled in 1967. In 1984 on so- called
“ Rozwadowska Górka” – a place of conspiracy of the Home Army– a commemorating plate
6. At the Pławo estate there is a modern church under the invocation of the Virgin Mary
the Queen of Poland with monuments and commemorating plates in honour of the Pope
John Paul II ( who consecrated the church as the then Cardinal Karol Wojtyła in 1973 )
and the Gdynia builder, the creator of the Central Industrial District, the deputy prime minister
and the minister of the treasury in pre-war Poland – Eugeniusz Kwiatkowski.
7. In Rozwadów there is the eighteenth century monastery and church of the Capuchin order
and The Regional Museum.
8. In Stalowa Wola there used to be a forest sanctuary called “ Sochy”. It was situated on the area
of the former Sochy village. Nowadays it is a part of Charzewice district. It was a sanctuary of
white and black poplars. Its area was 45 hectares and it was a paradise for birds.
However in 1970 it was abolished because of the forest stands devastation.
9. The inherent element of our town scenery are parks where the ihabitants can relax.